What is the AVID Program?
The AVID program in Glendora USD is a seventh - twelfth grade system that prepares students in the academic middle for four year college eligibility. It has a proven track record in bringing out the best in students and in closing the achievement gap. AVID, which stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination, has been dedicated to preparing students for a rigorous college preparatory path since 1980. The mission of AVID is to ensure that all students:
- Will succeed in rigorous curriculum
- Will enter mainstream activities of the school
- Will increase their enrollment in 4 year colleges
- Will become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society
AVID targets students in the academic middle- B and C students who have the desire to go to college and the willingness to work hard. These students are capable of completing rigorous curriculum but may be falling short of their potential. They may be the first in their family to attend college, or may have special circumstances/obstacles that get in the way of high academic achievement. AVID puts them on the college track and supports them through an elective class that includes:
- Organizational skills
- WICOR writing methods
- Cornell note taking skills
- Assistance in college/career search
- Inspirational guest speakers
- College visits
Nationwide, AVID has a proven track record of bringing out the best in students and closing the achievement gap.
OVER 93% OF AVID'S GRADUATES ENROLL IN COLLEGE AND OVER 70% ENROLL IN A 4 YEAR COLLEGE!
In Glendora, AVID is currently implemented in seventh and eighth grades at both Goddard and Sandburg Middle Schools. It is also implemented at Glendora High School at the ninth and tenth grades. If you are interested in more information regarding the AVID program, please contact the AVID site coordinators:
- Goddard Middle School Site Coordinator, Lisa Hall 852-4500, email@example.com
- Sandburg Middle School Site Coordinator, Pam Henley 852-4530, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Glendora High School Site Coordinator, Amy Pazos, 963-5731, email@example.com